What age can I start?
- We start at nine in our junior academy.
- For ages 9-14 there is usually a waiting list to start.
- Our Sunday junior academy (9-12 years) introduces children to all aspects of athletics – running, jumping and throwing. Following this they will progress to more specific coaching groups.
When do you train?
- Training times are Sunday morning, Tuesday and Thursday evening.
- These are fixed slots and we don’t offer any other times.
- Exact training times and days will depend on age groups and events.
Where do you train?
- We use the University of Birmingham Track in Edgbaston.
Which events do you do?
- We coach and operate training sessions for all athletics events including all Track and Field events and Cross Country.
Are the coaches qualified and checked?
- Absolutely: all sessions are led by fully qualified coaches who have also undergone DBS checks.
Do you compete?
- We compete in Junior Cross Country and Track and Field Leagues and additionally Championships and other Open Competitions.
- You will also find many junior BRATs taking part in Junior ParkRun.
Do we need special kit?
- No, specialist kit is not required. Just something warm, comfortable and waterproof if needed, that the children can do sport in.
How much does it cost?
- Depending on ages the annual club membership ranges between £13-£39.
- Club membership includes a £15 England Athletics athlete registration fee that we have to pay on to EA for older age group athletes.
- Additionally membership helps to cover running the club e.g. cross country and track and field league affiliation fees (it’s then free to run in these events for athletes), not insignificant course costs for training coaches, web site and other club admin, etc.
- You can join in our shop’s memberships’ section.
- Training costs are £15-£20 per-month depending on age and which sessions are attended.
- All of the training fee money goes towards hire of the track from the University. We do not get to use the track for free at our training times.
- You can view and purchase current training session blocks in our shop’s training fees’ section
We hope this has helped answer your questions and that you’ll enjoy training with us.